Tuesday 4 July 2017

My Grandfathers picture-wardiary / Großvaters Bilder-Kriegstagebuch - Introduction








English
A few months back I got the picture war diary of my grandfather. it contains about 200 pictures from the war in Poland, France and Russia. I mentioned a few times to friends of mine on twitter and facebook and they overwhelmingly said that I should bring them online somehow.
This is what I did.

We as a family decided to leave most of the texts uncommented. I will provide links to places and other facts mentioned in my grandfathers comments on the pictures. I hope to achieve a politically most unbiased point of view in our past.

I have a text about my grandfather here but I will explain it in a less poetic way.

My grandfathers grandmother, my great great-grandmother was jewish, so he was a quarter jewish.
(The answer to that is broadly discussed by the jewish community/ies. Further Information here.
As a matter of fact, her family had to report to the officials from time to time. I am not sure how long the time period was.

General explanation: The little crosses looking like this ' x ' mean that that is himself. A plus sign ' + ' usually mean that the fell.

I will explain more if it's important to understand a picture. I hope you enjoy it.

Deutsch
Vor ein paar monaten bekam ich das Kriegstagebuch meines Großvaters. Es enhält etwa 200 Fotos aus dem Krieg in Polen, Frankreich und Russland. Ich habe eben dieses Tagebuch ein paar mal erwähnt über Twitter und Facebook und fast alle haben gesagt, dass ich es online stellen sollte, gar müsste.
Und genau das ist was ich hiermit tue.

Wir haben uns als Familie dazu entschieden die Texte weitgehend unkommentiert zu lassen. Ich habe Links eingefügt zu Orten und Fakten die mein Großvater in seinen Kommentaren zu den Bilder gibt. Ich hoffe, so eine politisch uneingefärbten Blick in die Vergangenheit geben zu können. 

Ich habe einen text über meinen Großvater auf englisch hier aber ich werde seine Leben dennoch noch mal kurz erklären.

Die Großmutter meines Großvaters, meine Ur-Urgroßmutter war jüdisch also war er ein Viertel Jude. 
(Wir haben hier das Problem, dass die Frage wer ein Jude ist und wer nicht auch im Judentum immer noch diskutiert wird, dazu mehr hier. )
Ein Fakt ist, dass Familienmitglieder (wer genau und wie oft ist nicht mehr hundertprozentig nachvollziehbar) sich bei Staatsbeamter melden mussten

Grundsätzliche Erklärungen: Die kleinen Kreuzchen die wie ein ' x ' aussehen bedeuten, dass dies er selbst ist. Kleine Pluszeichen ' + ' bedeuten gefallen.

Ich werde andere Dinge erklären wenn sie wichtig sind um ein Foto zu verstehen. Ich hoffe ihr habt Vergnügen hieran.


A special thanks for inspiration, support and nice words:
Brianna Hafer, Robert Herr, Jan Ruthenberg, Aisha Khahran, Stefan Pavic, Troy Goodfellow, Patrick Chovanec, Christoph Rehage and of course my mom.

2 comments:

  1. Danke für das Teilen der Familienfotos. Ich finde das sehr wertvoll. Ich hoffe, dass noch mehr Bilder kommen :)

    ReplyDelete